Thursday, October 20, 2011

2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800 Build




Purchased in 2007 for the purpose of going back in fourth from Venice to SCI-Arc in downtown Los Angeles, this would be the first of my Ducati collection.

Elements that interested me included the single sided swing-arm, the compact design, the aesthetics of it's muted "dark" design, and of course it's rideability in the city. Having owned a 2003 Honda RC51, and accumulating over 10,000 miles on a v-twin, I already knew I would love the feel of this bike.

Modifications:

• Arrow Full Exhaust System
• Corbin Aftermarket Seat
• PCIII ECU Tuning Device
• Ohlins Steering Damper
• Speedymoto Upper Triple Clamp
• Clip-ons
• Smaller turn signals
• Frame Sliders
• Self produced Tail-Chop
• Side frame panels removed

And the Result:










At 220 lbs and 6'-5" tall, this bike was small for me, but perfect for what I needed. It allowed me to safely mitigate traffic through the greater Los Angeles area advancing greatly my riding skills. Gas was much cheaper than if I took my SUV, and I cut out an hour and 30 minutes to and from college 5 days a week. Suddenly I had more time to do the things I loved. I could get places quickly, even when traffic was horrific.

There was definitely a cool factor with owning a Ducati. Everywhere I went people noticed the bike. I would get off and have people compliment the bike almost immediately. The sound, the look, the feel... it meant something to people. It evoked interest and appeal.

Most importantly, it would introduce me to the world of Ducati ownership, and catapult my passion for motorcycling.

I knew Ducati had a great heritage, but it wasn't until owning one that I began to realize why. It was the way the bike rode. It was nimble, aggressive, loud, powerful, and sexy as hell. I loved the torque. It just wanted to be ridden. The more I rode the Monster, the more I felt I was living life.

My riding and enjoyment of this bike was reaching it's potential. I found myself wanting more... more power, more control, more technology, and more Ducati. So I began to search for the next project...

4 comments:

  1. http://s958.photobucket.com/albums/ae65/badongers/La%20Dolce%20Vita%20Corleone/

    seems we got similar tastes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very much so, nice Monster. I think the only significant difference is the clip-ons versus handle bar set up. Nice paint scheme too.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, keep up the great work

      Delete
  2. Just picked up a modified S2R myself this week. Love it!

    ReplyDelete